Love is Free and Life is Cheap ~and as long as I have me a place to sleep, clothes on my back and food to eat, I couldn't ask for anything more.
Thursday, October 8
Boo boos, Food, Birthdays and TV
Yesterday, all our troubles seemed so far away… lalala, watermelon. Last night I picked Laine up from daycare around 6:30; I'm almost always the last parent there, and she had two incident reports sent home with her. One for a bump and scrape on the head that, get this, they said they didn’t notice before her nap at 1:00 but did notice it after she woke up, so they assumed it happened at home. Like she snuck out of her crib and crawled home. Because, you know, she can. The second report was for her face, she’s got a scrape that looks worse in real life than it does in the photo (but that could be because the camera doesn't have the Mommy Eye lens to take photos with). She went from sitting on her bum to flat on her face on top of a toy then when she rolled off she scraped her face. They said she didn’t cry or yell or anything, she just got real quiet for a while, then she was fine. I wonder what goes through someone’s head when they experience something like pain on your face for the first time. We made a quick trip over to CVS to get some photos printed and buy a new photo album for my dad’s birthday present. I counted; I have 38 pictures of Laine’s firsts. Her first ride in the car seat, her first biter biscuit, her first time to poop in the bath tub, I feel incredibly fortunate to have my camera on me so often. When we got home dinner was more of less ready since we were having leftover stew, but I can’t not make something when I get home, it’s become too big of a habit for me so I started defrosting some hamburger meat and put some rice on to cook while I fed Laine her dinner and gave her a bath. I didn’t know what to make so I kind of winged it and made some stuffed bell peppers, without a recipe. I like to live dangerously. Its in the refrigerator now so that when I get home all I need to do is make the sauce and bake it, I was going to make the sauce last night but I figured if I didn’t have anything to do when I got home I’d make another meal and although it is nice to have an easy dinner halfway prepared for me when I get home my day isn’t complete without chopping vegetables. Whoa, how did this happen? When did I get here, where Ramen isn’t a dinner option? I don’t even have a box of macaroni and cheese in the house, which used to be a side dish for everything I cooked, and hamburger helper, where did that guy go? Man, it’s like I’m grown up or something. Crazy. I’ve started cooking with onions a lot more recently. I enjoy the flavor it brings to certain dishes but I can’t have chunks of it in my food, so it gets minced up super tiny until its almost soupy before I even start cooking it, so that when it starts browning and getting good and cooked I know it’s all cooked and whatever I have an allergy to gets killed. I also bought garlic for the first time the other day, usually I just use garlic powder or the minced garlic in the jar, but I felt like doing more the other night for my soup and so I bought it and it really makes a difference in the taste. That is a good thing, I’m not good with change of any kind ever but I’m giving it a go, mostly because I figure fresh things have better nutritional value blah blah blah, yeah I’m trying. Erik called to say he was on his way home around 7:00 and we had a back and forth about whether or not to go to the Whites to give daddy his birthday gift, to meet mom and dad at their house at 9:00 and use their TV for the Dynamo game, to have them meet us at our house and Erik could go to his parents to watch the game (which turned out to be rescheduled for three weeks from today) or for all of us to stay home and we’d swing by their house the next day. Laine got a little needy and made the decision for us so I texted mom to meet us at our house when they were done with their home group which was 8:30, about twenty minutes before Erik got home, so Erik watched Laine and took our Daily Laine pictures for me while I finished my dad’s gift and reheated the stew. Funny, my stuffed peppers were in the fringe ready to bake when Erik got home but I hadn’t started on his dinner yet. Guess I need to work or that whole making things easier on myself thing a little more. While the stew reheated I sat at Erik’s computer and dated all the photos in my dad’s album, labeling them with which first were which. Dad got there a little before I finished so Erik used him to help hook up something with the TV and distracted him until I was able to get the album and card into a bag. He seemed to like it. You never can tell with homemade presents, people tend to tell you that they like them regardless, but I’m pretty sure he really did like it. Mom didn’t stop by because she needed to go home and take care of the dogs so I didn’t get to see her so I’ll probably swing by their house later today. Seems like forever since I’ve seen her, even though it’s just been since Sunday, but it was good to see dad and hang out him for a little while. I hope his birthday was amazing. After dad left Erik, Laine and I sat on the couch and took pictures of each other and watched some TV until Laine decided it was time for bed. It was so adorable, she just laid down on Erik’s chest and started putting her self to sleep, she cried a bit but it think it was mostly to let Erik know she was ready to lay down, so he took her upstairs and he said as soon as her head hit the mattress she was out. She didn’t wake up last night. We’ve gotten used to sleeping all night now. She tends to stay down for eleven or twelve hours a night. I’m wondering how long it will last, but I’m enjoying it for now.
WOAH, wait I thought you didnt like vegetables? lol. Way to start cooking! Its fun huh? Even when you dont feel like it, as long as you have what you need to cook it, its not so bad, and you feel even better cooking the whole thing for your family when you are done. Josie and I hope that Laines booboo's get better, Josie knows how not fun booboo getting is. :) Love you! Crafty lady!
2 comments:
WOAH, wait I thought you didnt like vegetables? lol. Way to start cooking! Its fun huh? Even when you dont feel like it, as long as you have what you need to cook it, its not so bad, and you feel even better cooking the whole thing for your family when you are done.
Josie and I hope that Laines booboo's get better, Josie knows how not fun booboo getting is. :)
Love you! Crafty lady!
My baby girl is a woman now...where oh where has the time gone? (Love the way Laine fell asleep like that...o so cute)
Post a Comment