Disney’s Robin Hood, Rooster: We’d up and fly if we had wings for flyingSometimes I think about folks in bad situations and why they are there; like wives with abusive husbands and homeless people on the corner. I assume they would not be in that position if they had the choice; the lame part is that there is no choice for some people. Just like there is no option for me to move into a million dollar home tomorrow. You can’t live outside your station in life. Disney’s Robin Hood taught me that. Oh, I can dream big and strive to meet all goals in life and sometimes I’ll make it there but with each step that I climb there is still a ceiling covering my head, saying “No, you can only go so far” , until you take the next step and then there’s a new ceiling saying it again. Some people quit taking steps and that’s how you get stuck. Whenever I think I’m having a hard time of things, I complain and I cry and whine like everyone else, I sit on that step and I refuse to move, but I have to tell myself to remember I do have wings to help me up to the next step, they are called Mom and Dad and Erik and Laine and Colleen. They are my Robin Hood.
Shakespeare: I talk of dreams, which are the children of an idle brain, begot of nothing but vain fantasy. Which is as thin a substance as the air and more inconstant than the wind.Ah, Romeo and Juliet, my first romance. I never could come to grips with the fact that they killed themselves; sometimes I want to rip out all the pages concerning Father Lawrence; if he’s not there to interfere we could have a much different ending. I think that's one of the reasons I read so many romance novels now is to make up for that poor ending. Though no other story has ever moved me in the same way and that is partly due to the distance these lovers were willing to go to be together. But I never forgot that these two were only thirteen-ish, and I believe that the character of Mercutio never forgot that either. I bonded with Mercutio. I love the man dearly for his ways and his attitude. He’s a bitter cynical man who thinks of love as a physical thing and he makes fun of Romeo for being burdened by it. He mocks Romeo for his belief in dreams and premonitions of bad things to come. He tells dirty jokes and insists that Romeo dance; that it’ll make him feel better to get out, go to a party and get rowdy. I wanted to be Mercutio, the one that gets you out and gets you happy, the one that will take your fears and turn them into nothing. Romeo dreams of bad things happening to him if he goes to this party and Mercutio tells him it was just Queen Mab, a miniature creature that drives her chariot across the faces of sleeping people and compels them to experience dreams of wish-fulfillment. When Romeo tries to calm Mercutio from his manic speech, telling him peace, you speak of nothing, Mercutio says EXACTLY! Nothing is what dreams are, children of an idle brain, vain fantasy. It’s been years since a dream has bothered me, nightmares aren’t an issue for me ever. Because Mercutio said that dreams are nothing. And I believed him.
1 comment:
Awhhhh....Thank you Amanda!!!! I feel all proud and such!!!
Post a Comment