Last night I got home right at 6:00 with Laine. She was in a super great mood. She asked for April to be let out right away and for the next hour she and the dog ran around the house chasing each other while I was able to get leftovers warmed up and on a nice plate so they didn’t look like leftovers. (I’m wondering now who it was I thought was going to care about that.) I also roasted some veggies, no sense in making Mac and cheese when I have cauliflower leering at me from the vegetable drawer, taunting me with the fact that it was almost a week old and I still hadn’t cooked it. Once everything was taken care of, Laine and I went into the living room to wait for Erik to get home so we could eat. I sat on the couch and was watching Laine and April chase each other around the living room; Laine would chase April into the dining room, then April would flip around and chase Laine back around the couch and towards the toy corner. Then just when I was sure I’ve never laughed so hard in my life, Laine came tearing around the couch and was running right in front of the fireplace, as she turned to look to see if April was behind her, Laine tripped. I don’t know if she caught her foot on the fireplace itself or if April tripped her or if she tripped herself but I am so grateful that she turned at the moment she did because had she been facing forward she would have caught her cheek square on the corner of the brick, as it was, with her head turned it caught her right under the chin. The scrape started on her belly and scraped up and caught her armpit then she slammed onto her chin. Another thing to be grateful for, her big ol’ belly, had she not had that all the force would have been directly on her jaw.
As soon as her chin hit the brick I heard her teeth snap, and she was sitting there on hands and knees totally silent, I knew she was hurt and hurt bad and I was already flying off the couch and picking her up before she even started crying, but when she did start crying it was the worst cry in the world. It was a soft whine that turned into the most epic show of tears I’ll ever see on any two year old ever. Man she was hurting. I immediately made the dog go to her kennel and got a wet towel to wash off Laine’s chin. The cold water on the scrape made the tears stop automatically and she didn’t cry again the rest of the night about her owie. She’s a seriously tough kid. After some cuddling that seemed to be more for me than it was for her, I took her to the bathroom for a bath and she let me wash all the scrapes with soap and put Neosporin on it and a band aide. The band aide was super cool to her, she kept pointing to it and saying “My owie, mine. OW!” like it was a cool prize she just spent all her tickets on and was not going to share with me.
Erik got home right after the bath and I told Laine to “show Daddy you’re new owie” and she then told him that it was her owie not his. I’m trying desperately to work with her about her possessiveness but as long as she’s not hurting she can have as big a possessive attitude that she wants. We were out of milk so Erik was going to run to the store for me and he took Laine so that I could eat in peace, when he got back he told me that “had he not been married he totally would have gotten tail tonight”. When the y got to CVS Laine saw herself in the security monitor and pointed to it saying “Ats my Daddy!” and there was a “gaggle” (Erik’s word) of girls at the register who started says ooh and ahh and how cutes and she’s so adorable. Erik said that Laine snapped her head around to them, pointed and said “No, no. My Daddy!” and the girls laughed and awww’ed some more and started trying to chat up Erik. He was totally getting flirted with because f the baby I pushed out of my special place. Not fair. Though, it’s nice that he had his moment. He was a little puffed up when he was telling me about it and I just gave him a kiss and said I was happy for him. Everyone needs to be flirted with periodically; it’s why I shop at HEB, those bag boys are the sweetest.While Erik ate his dinner I took Laine upstairs to bed, she didn’t fight me at all and was super snuggly, I sat for an extra ten minutes just smelling her hair and enjoying my moment with her letting me hold her tight before I put her down and got started on my new doll. This is the first all me doll. I drew the pattern yesterday and it took me forever to get it how I think I want it. We’ll see how it all fits together. Last night I got the legs and arms done and starting fitting the head to the body, but the face is giving me some trouble. I got to say though; this doll doesn’t seem to want to get made. The legs have three parts: leg, sock, and shoe. Right, so, I put the socks and shoes together but when I went to put the legs on I put right to wrong side instead of right to right so when I went to put the two parts together and sewed and flip it right die out, I was confused as to why the wrong side was out. Thinking maybe I was just tired and forgot I already flipped it, I unflipped it, but the wrong side was still out. Finally I realized what I’d done and had to undo ever tying and do it over again. I got them all finished but then my sewing machine started puberty and got all angsty on me, randomly spitting the thread out of the needle, knotting up thread on the bobbin, the light flickering. Either it just got its first period or the devil lived inside it.
I finally threw my hands in the air and said a prayer over it before turning out the lights and heading upstairs to try to explain to Erik what happened and getting the look that says “when did you start speaking Portuguese?” so I harrumphed into the bed and watched Conan until I passed out. Laine came into my room at midnight but fell asleep as soon as I picked her up, I let her stay with me in my bed for while before taking her to her room. I didn’t mind being awake with her last night, she was extra cuddly and I love soaking up her smell. I wish they made Laine flavored coffee; it’s all I’d ever drink. This morning I woke up a little late, almost 6:00 so I wasn’t able to take a shower but I did dunk my head in the sink for a quick wash and sprayed on a couple extra pumps of perfume. A whore’s shower, my grandma calls it. At 6:30 I left Laine wide awake on the bed with Erik, its kill or be killed in the mornings at our house. If you say you can be up you need to be up. Erik said he’d wake up and watch Laine until taking her to my mom’s at 8:00. I offered to take her to daycare for the fist part of the morning but he said he’s watch her. He looked like I’d kicked him in the gut leaving a rowdy toddler in his bed at 6:30 but I just laughed. And laughed and laughed. I got dressed and packed up Laine’s bag and set it by the door before heading out. I was a teensy bit late getting on the road and then I had to get gas and cash for the beltway, but I still made it to work twenty minutes early.
I had blackberries and apples for breakfast and the best coffee I’ve had in a very long time. I’m hoping today is as good a day as it was a morning. Fingers crossed.

4 comments:
Your dining table looks fabulous, darling!!!
Keep creating. You were made to do this!
Ha, ha, that comment was from your moma, not you!!! hee, hee, you simply must sign out when you use my computer LOL. Mom
Ok, this is from me! 3 comments from me!!!!
I love your blogs. Please keep blogging!!! Any photos today of the new dolly???
Awww, poor Elaine! I am glad she is okay though. Love your blogs and you do not want to know what my dining room looked like up until this week!
Post a Comment