Friday I got off work close to 3:30, a lot later than usual on Fridays. I picked Laine up close to 4:15 and she and I went to hang out at the house for just a few minutes before going to Momma and Daddy’s house for an hour before they went to lunch. Once in for the night Laine helped me set some beans to soak for the next night’s dinner. She and I relaxed in the living room until bedtime which came a little earlier than normal, around 7:30 and since I have to sleep when she does I went down early too. Erik didn’t come home until after 11:30 so I didn’t see him until the morning.
Saturday Laine and I were up at butt crack, or more like right at the top of the panty line of dawn. 6ish. But it was a good morning Laine was in a playful but not spastic mood. She ate a good amount for breakfast and then she and I sat at the living room table a drew on every piece of blank paper in the house, that’s not really all that much apparently because when she was done with the blank papers she started finding my papers; shopping lists and receipts and pieces of Christmas wrapping paper under the couch, I just started following her around the house and after a while she’d found every spec of dirt I’d missed from the last time I cleaned. So I gave her a rag and let her dust every surface she could reach and when she’d finished with that I let her sweep the entry way, because believe it of not, she really enjoys cleaning. I love that she loves to help me out right now. I’m sure I won’t get much more time with her being this helpful in the years to come. After I’d finished the laundry and dishes from breakfast Laine and I went upstairs to take a shower. She wasn’t into playing in the water for the first time in her life and just wanted to be held so that’s what I did and I found out you really only need one hand in the shower anyway. Laine helped me wash my hair and face and as worried as I got about my shampoo being in her hands she didn’t get any in her eyes. When we got out and dried off it took me a while to catch Laine and hold her down long enough to get a diaper on her and by the time I got her dressed I was very nearly exhausted. Erik picked this time to tumble down the stairs and grace us with his radiating morning glory; boy howdy, did we feel blessed. At 9:45 we left the house and headed out to Friendswood to watch Jacob play basketball. He stole the ball and took it up for a basket; he’s so much more fun to watch this season. Last year he got a little confused with the sport, instead of dribbling the ball there was a lot of sliding into home. It was fun to watch that too, but I’m glad he’s finally gotten the hang of the game. Laine, for the most part was a good sport, she wanted to be in Nanny's lap, then Pawpaw’s then Daddy’s then Nanny’s but not mine and that’s okay because she more than made up for it by Sunday.
After the basketball game Momma me Erik and the kids went to Luna’s for lunch, Laine slept for the first twenty minutes or so until the food got there and didn’t seem too interested in the food, but she ate a little bit. When we got home I wanted Laine to take another longer nap but she wasn’t up for it so I brought her downstairs and let her help me get dinner started while Erik went upstairs to once again do battle with the squirrel. He blocked their exit and went hunting with his pellet gun, but didn’t get anything other than a tail or two. He has officially asked for my father’s help, which will come in the form of a six pack and a couple lawn chairs set up in the attic, it may take all day but they’ll kill ‘em, then probably expect me to skin, clean and cook them just for ceremonial reasons, Erik may even buy the innards in the back yard in respect for their spirit. Two years is a LONG time to be at war. Be it between countries, states or attic space.
When Erik came back downstairs, deflated, defeated, beaten… looking trounced, crushed, vanquished… I laughed. I can’t believe how undeniably subjugated he’s become to this rodent family. He is utterly dominated. And yes I laugh. Not outright or to his face, much. Mostly I chuckle and pair it with a good hug and a “poor little bunny”. He took Laine outstide to ride her new bike to make himself feel better, if you look closely you can see the sadness in his eyes.
I told Erik to check in with his sisters to see if maybe we could get a babysitter and go see a movie, just to get him out and away from the monsters he’s fighting and after a sort-of ordeal we got Jennifer to come over around 6:30. I’d made red beans and needed to have it stirred every once in a while and I was more concerned with that happening than I was in Laine’s care, Jenn’s an amazing babysitter, I’ve got nothing negative to say about the way she takes care of Laine for me, she’s one of the best caretakers we’ve got.
So, Erik and I went out and saw Tron at the AMC30 on IMAX in 3D. All I can say is really? Seriously? That’s the story? That’s retarded. But it looks good. So there’s that.
Home again at 10:00 and Laine is out, thankfully. Jennifer read her to sleep; something I’ve never been able to do, and usually she only let you get a page into it before taking it away and reading it herself, or tearing pages out to draw on.
Laine was up before daylight again though and I know that I said that I’m being strict about Laine not sleeping in my bed but I need to put a caveat on my rule: when it’s thundering and lightning-ing outside then its okay to snuggle with mom. I’m drew my line but then put a little bridge over it. If she’s scared of something like thunder that’s going to stick around for a while then snuggle time it is, but if it’s a nightmare then I’ll go into her room and snuggle time is on there. I don’t think that’s going to hurt my habit forming plans with her. The thing that is really great about letting her sleep in my bed is that she sleeps later than normal. She slept all the way until 8:30 in the morning. I actually had to wake her up for once. Getting ready for church was easy enough, I got Laine up and we played for a while and I had to clean up the explody-ness that she made of the living room in the 30 seconds my back was turned making coffee, then we went upstairs for our shower, this time all she wanted to do was play in the water coming out of the faucet and she got mad at me for turning the shower head on for myself. Erik came in right as I was getting dried off, and he jumped in right behind me so that Laine could stay and play longer in the water, but as soon as he turned the shower head back on for himself we ran out of hot water. Haha! I grabbed Laine and Erik had to do the peepee dance while he washed his hair and made little girl noises while rising off. I just stood there watching and laughing. To his face this time. After the shower Erik ran back to bed and crawled under the covers while I took Laine downstairs and fed her and got her dressed and ready to go, except for some reason she didn’t want to be put down at all so I had to get ready one handed, and unlike taking showers, putting on a face does require more than one hand. So she was a little pissy with me after a while of jostling her from hip to hip, trying to get myself dressed. Around 9:20 I started screeching upstairs for Erik to get his butt in gear. I had to threaten to come up stairs before I heard the bed squeak and him get up. Lazy baby. We all got out the door and to church on time surprisingly, but when we got there Laine wasn’t looking so hot. Her eyes were all of a sudden glassy and she felt hot to the touch. Erik kept a hold of her for a while as he worked the check in desk but after a while he put her in her class. I worked in the nursery so I wasn’t able to check on her at all, and Erik had to come help me because we actually had 5 babies this Sunday. That’s a lot for us. 3 of the 5 felt like Sundays are be held by stranger days and wouldn’t let us put them down, but I don’t think any of us really minded. I got Samuel, the newbie, the perfectly perfect little newbie, so I was beyond happy rocking the little one. I totally got my baby fix for the week.
After the service was over and all the babies were gone I went to go get Laine, but she’d fallen asleep in a bean bag chair. I changed her diaper and let her lay there for a while longer. Our church had lunch catered for everyone from Carraba’s this Sunday and it was amazing to have that much awesome food for free. I could smell it as it was right outside Laine’s classroom, Erik was going to go eat then come back and watch Laine as I ate, but after a while I got the sneaking feeling that he forgot, and sure enough he did. My mom was finished and came to take her and went back to the nursery to rock her while I made my plate. Well, first I went to Erik and gave him my best “Oh, I thought you were going to come help me when you were done, oh no, please don’t get up, I know you’re probably tired from snuggling in the bed all warm this morning while I was up doing stuff, so you just sit there, do you need a piece of pie? No, no, no, I’ll get it for you dear, there are no more seats left in the room and I don’t want anyone to steal yours, like maybe your wife, who’d like a seat, NO! Please, don’t get up. Don’t strain yourself. Love you!” then I went and sat in the hallway with mom and Laine. It’s whatever. Verbally punching him in the kidney makes me feel better sometimes.
After Lunch we had our E5 training which is basically an update on procedures and rules and scheduling for all the volunteers at the church. Laine stayed with mom in the prayer group and Erik and I went to the preschool table to get our news from Sam, who did a great job of being in charge and knowing stuff. After the meeting Erik went to show a new volunteer how to work the check in system on the computer and I went to check on Laine with mom. Laine was still asleep and still feeling like she was running a fever so mom asked if it was okay with me if she had the prayer team pray for Laine, like I’d ever say someone couldn’t pray for my child. I’d actually prefer if everyone I know was praying ceaselessly for my children, that includes all of you. So I really wouldn’t mind if you just went ahead and got on that. Now. Thanks.
After Church we headed to CVS to grab some children’s Tylenol and some sort of cold medication because the one we have at the house is crap. I ended up getting some homeopathic 100% natural thing that said it wouldn't make her spastic, it’s rare to find a decongestant that isn’t a stimulant, but I guess the natural kind isn’t so there we go. Anyway, when I got back to the car from being inside CVS Laine was finally awake and was talking to Erik, he kept trying to get her to repeat what she’d just said. She’d told Erik as soon as she woke up that “Nanny did it, bobo gone, bobo all gone!” I’m pretty sure that’s about the weirdest thing ever. For one thing she was asleep when mom prayed over her and two, her fever was broken and three, my kid just said her Nanny made her sickness go away, like she understood that prayer worked to heal her. THAT’S BEYOND ALL THINGS COOL!!!! I’m just saying.
We got home and gave her the medication for her congestion and she passed out on the couch around 4:00 and from then on except for one little scare with the fever again and another prayer she’s been fine. She kept waking up but not really, just when my phone would alert me to a text message, she'd pop her head up, eye's wide and go "PAWPAW?!?!" then collapse back to sleep. So, she’s slept since 4:00 and she was still asleep when I dropped her off at daycare, I told them to let her sleep as long as she wanted until the lesson plans needed to be started. So she’s all better, Go Team God!

1 comment:
Wow, what a weekend, with amazingness too!
Glad she is feeling better :)
Post a Comment