To begin with, this is a photo of what it would look like if my face were to spontaneously implode.Anyway... I am writing this blog on an Internet typewriter; just a black screen with bright green text. It's somewhat calming to be given such a blank canvas to start with. Microsoft Word has become intimidating now that my mind understands that every time I see that blank white screen with its little blinking line that's waiting to spit out letters, that it'll be expected to come up with something witty and entertaining for my mass of readers. I hate blank white screens today. So now I've moved on to different colors. As simple as that sounds, it's freeing. No so free feeling as taking off your pants and dancing like a hippy at Woodstock in the living room when no one is home, but free enough. Free enough to come up with the idea of writing about... yeah; I thought that would work and it did not. Sometimes putting myself on the spot works, but not so much this time. So I'm stuck writing about nothing. Like a Seinfeld episode. I guess that means I should mention Elaine.
She bonked her head pretty good the other night. For dinner time Erik and I have gotten in the habit of letting Laine sit with us at the table, in her highchair or on one of our laps, but this time for some reason we thought maybe she'd want to sit in the papasan. While testing to see if she still fit in it she rolled out and face planted on the tile. She cried so hard and for so long that I started crying too. It was horrible. And to top it all off, Erik felt so bad for not strapping her in he wouldn't let me hold her. He kept a hold of her until she started to calm down and when finally I was crying harder that Laine was he let me have her. But only for a little while. Once I was okay and I realize that she was not in fact about to die from brain hemorrhage he took her back and kept her until she went to sleep. He even got up around three in the morning with her. I never want her to hit her head again but if it makes him get up for me in the middle of the night... I won't complain.
Laine didn't even have a bump on the head or a red spot from the tile. When she woke up around 5:30 I got up with her and she was perfectly fine. She was talking and laughing and generally being the exceptionally happy baby that she is and that set my mind at ease. Now its a few days later and I've just become convinced that she will be fine. Those stories on the news of children not being taken to the hospital after hitting their heads and dying scare the crap out of me and now every time she bonks her head on my collar bone I freak out. This mom business is stressful.
Now I’m going to copy all that I have written and transfer it into Microsoft Word so that I can use spell check and post this. It may seem like I’m just adding to my stress by doing things in a roundabout way, but then again, you aren’t sitting in my lap today so you don’t know. This could be the exact thing that takes up those last fifteen minutes before I walk out the door and get on the road so that I don't get into a wreck or something.
If that is the case, my apologies to the person left to fill that void.
1 comment:
How scary for you and Erik AND Elaine! So very, very thankful that she is fine and so are you all. Thank God for pre-covering in prayers. I am sure her guardian angel took the brunt of the fall and Elaine just got scared on the way down; thus the fit of crying. I have a lot more to be thankful for tonight. I needed that. Thank you for sharing it.
Post a Comment