Take a handful of words, I dare you, and put them in some kind of order. Now verbalize it. We call this “language”. The human capacity to transfer thought, theory and notions through speech and writing is unrivaled. There are upwards of six thousand different languages currently being utilized, including sign language, and many thousands more that are considered extinct. Computers do it with their 100101010 and dogs can impart information through barks and whines, while whales taaaaaaallllkk lliiiiiikkkeeee thhhhhiiiiisssssss. Language is everywhere. All species use it, except, apparently, the Homo Husbandrus.

Most people can put into words their brain waves while others express strictly through deed. I am a word person. Erik is a deed man. This really is just another area in our marriage where our individual eccentricities once again manufacture clashing skulls. And if my brain pan wasn’t bruised enough as it is I seem to go out of my way daily to point out to Erik how much of a non-word man he is; which in turn is answered with how much of a non-deed girl that I am.

So not true, by the way. I deed. I’ll deed the heck out of him if he’s just use his words to let me know what deeds he wants.
We found out recently that our personalities are exact opposites of each other. We are exact opposites, on every single point, that's bananas! And tests don’t lie so you know it’s true. I’m an ISFJ
and he is an ENTP
. Together we are the perfect match, nice, but I could have told you that. The only problem is that we are EXACT OPPOSITES!!! We are opposing forces, arch rivals, combatants. But, we don’t really fight. We beat a dead horse from time to time and it’s like a meeting at the

International Society for Triggering Epileptic Seizures; always the same back and forth and it never stops. I need him to talk to me, answer his phone when I call or say I love you first and he doesn’t have the words. He needs me to understand that he loves me without him having to tell me thirty-four times an hour and I don’t have that kind of certainty.

But since one of us uses words and the other one doesn’t we each vent in our own ways at someone else but not at each other; it’s not our way. Neither of us can stand anger. Not between the two of us, in any way, ever. And we both require insane amounts of love to be shown to us but we both desire it in different ways; his desire for physical touch versus my desire for words of affirmation, his desire to give acts of service versus my desire to give quality time. It’s brutal. But all is well because we took a test and we read about the other person while saying “How do they know that!” and now we know these things about each other, and that’s why our marriage has gotten noticeably easier in the past few days.
It never dawned on me before that I could take out the trash every now and then. And I don’t think he’s ever realized that calling ahead not only means dinner is ready, but that it’s hot on the table and Laine is occupied and family fun time is waiting upstairs.
No marriage is perfect, and no love between a man and woman can be perfect. But the fact that I know how he needs to be loved and he knows how I need to be loved and we are both capable of giving that exact kind of love is what makes our love a great love.
I think maybe one of the greatest of all time.
1 comment:
You need to quit your job and write that dad gum book!!! This made me tear up it was so good.
-Sydney
Post a Comment