Frank Turner

Love is Free and Life is Cheap ~and as long as I have me a place to sleep, clothes on my back and food to eat, I couldn't ask for anything more.

Thursday, September 10

YOU Eat It

Laine’s nutrition has been brought to my attention more than a handful of times in the last few weeks, by more than a few people. Laine’s stomach virus and the BRAT diet have taken all my attention lately but the subject of scheduling and introducing new foods keeps coming up. I have my reservations on both counts. As far as scheduling is concerned I can do more to make our day to day life more structured but considering that I only get four hours with Laine on a weekday I like to take that time to do whatever it is she feels like doing. Sometimes it’s eating; sometimes it’s trying to crawl, and other days she is content to sit either on the floor or in my lap and just watch the room. So a daily schedule may have to wait a while longer to be configured. Right now I’ll feed her sometime between 6:30 and 8:00 pm. That’s our schedule.
As far as new foods go, I’m apprehensive. I’m not sure I’m quite ready for her to start eating meat. For one, baby food meat tastes like shit and I don’t want to feed her anything that makes me retch. Another factor is her tongue muscle and gag reflex may need some more time to develop. She never had the tongue thrust reflex that a lot of babies have and she will sometimes “chew” her food so I’ve become a little more comfortable with the idea of chunkier foods, like pureed chicken that I would make myself. I’m becoming more at ease with the idea but it’s still going to take time.
I’m also a little wary about starting her on wheat products. I’ve given her a biter biscuit twice and she loved them, but after about a minute she was tired and got really cranky which makes me wonder if they upset her stomach. And that girl, poor thing, seems to have a very sensitive stomach.
I’ve decided that I absolutely will not start her on any dairy products until much later. If I do give her any it will be cottage cheese to supplement for the protein she’s supposedly missing out on by my not feeding her meat, but then again tofu would work just as well.
Maybe in a month or two I’ll change my mind on a few points like giving her pureed food that we are eating for dinner. Chicken and veggies and the like, but until that time that I decided what is best my plan remains. She is eating stage 2 foods, rice cereal and soy formula. No meat, no wheat and no dairy.
I’m still reading and researching and I’m getting good sound advice from my person and my mom so the rest of you can back off a bit if you don’t mind. I love you all and value your opinions and advice greatly, but the best judge of who is ready for what is the child’s mother and what her heart and head is telling her. And right now mine are telling me that my child is not ready for meat.

2 comments:

KrysTros said...

Hope Elaine feels better soon! With my friends telling me everyday that their kids are suffering with flu and just today one mom and her 4 kids with H1n1 virus, I just hope for her to get well soon! You guys take care!

Elizabeth said...

I am sooo with you on the no nasty baby food meat. Not only does it smell nasty when you feed it to them, but it makes for super nasty poo, too! And there are tons of other ways for them to get complete proteins. I've got a book called Super Baby Food that has interesting ideas. I can send it your way if you want it.