A
week ago Laine went dragon-breath-fart-butt on me and I posted a blog about how it was just teething and she was getting better; however the rash was far worse the next day and so was the snotty acid diarrhea. Erik and I made an appointment with the doctor and come to find out it was not teething at all, it was a stomach virus. Still not swine flu, but you can draw your own picture as to the reaction I had to hearing that it was something and not nothing. I was told that it was nothing. I described every single one of her symptoms to the nurse and I was told she was just teething. She wasn’t, she was sick. So a whole twenty-four hours that could have been spent towards improving the health of my child was instead spent on soothing her crying fits when I had no idea how much pain she was really in. So I had my tantrum and got myself a red lollypop and worked out my anger towards the doctor on my husband, like you do, and was able to then focus all my attention on Laine.
We were told to put Laine on a diet, sort of like the BRAT diet but for infants; soy formula, bananas, applesauce and rice cereal, and we were given a prescription diaper rash cream that is an anti fungal because the doctor thought Laine looked like she was getting a yeast infection (which she never did.) It turns out that her skin is as sensitive as mine and my mom’s and she had a severe reaction to the cream turning her rash into a chemical burn. My seven month old baby had a CHEMICAL BURN on her butt! If you can imagine how much pain she was in you’ve got more imagination than I do, her skin was so raw and inflamed it scared us to even wipe her so we had to call the doctor again and this time we talked to the other doctor at the practice who seemed to really listen to all my concerns and totally validated all my worries and paranoia. It was a chemical burn and it was the cream that gave it to her. So we were told to stop using the cream and start using Aquaphor only and to use a hair dryer after every diaper change to make sure she was really dry before applying the ointment. We were told to go and buy over the counter steroid ointment and if she did develop a yeast infection (which she didn’t) to use any yeast infection over the counter medications. It is now five days since going to the doctor’s office and her tummy is back to good working order and her bottom is clearing up quite well. Huzzah for all that mess finally working its way out of her! There were a lot of prayers being sent our way and we appreciate every single one of them.
Also Laine’s great-grandma was in town to help take care of her, which made everything easier to handle. Grandma makes me feel calmer, more comfortable in my surroundings. No matter what happens when grandma’s around you feel safe and held and surrounded with a love that makes it easier for you to make decisions and deal with hard times. Thanks Grandma!
3 comments:
I know exactly what you mean about having Grandma around. She is a soothing balm on a rainy day! PS it is very difficult to post comments on your new layout (when you do the verification. Can you change it? I thinks some people would get too frustrated to continue trying and give up! Not me though!)
UGH been there mama. I did my best to support you, and lend advice when I could from when we were in a similar situation, with the chemical burn not the stomach virus along with it. :( Im SO happy that she is getting better. :) YAY for mom achievements in surviving infants illness... it takes a mental toll on you when you dont know how to fix their hurting. Here is to knowing what to do next time around! xo
So glad that everything is clearing up. Seriously, if you feel like your doctor is not listening get a new one ASAP. Your uncle and I have been together for 7 yrs now and he can tell you that every doctor except the one I have now only got 1 visit from me and I never went back! My doc now is a godsend, and if she ups and moves to Alaska, by God, we are moving there too!
Post a Comment