Frank Turner

Love is Free and Life is Cheap ~and as long as I have me a place to sleep, clothes on my back and food to eat, I couldn't ask for anything more.

Monday, September 28

Crawling to Austin

This weekend was a good weekend. I feel rested and I enjoyed my time with friends and family.
Friday night after Laine went to sleep I stayed up until 6:30 in the morning making matching outfits for her and me to wear to the reception (becasue I don't own a sewing machine and hand stitching takes a while). Mine came out fine and it fit, I was happy, Laine’s dress came out beautifully but didn’t fit her, so I cried. I tried to fix it but there was a time crunch and it just didn’t work out. I’m going to try again later this week. I did get her into the dress for a couple of photos but I had to cut the side open to get it over her wonderfully large tummy. Next time I’ll have to take into account the fact that her chunk is more than meets the eye.
Saturday morning I woke up and found Erik on the phone with our cable provider, I came into the conversation late but the gist of it was that we are getting charged way more than was originally agreed upon but we can’t leave them because we have a two year contract that we never signed up for. It’ll cost 400 dollars to break contract, Erik is going to sue. After Erik hung up on them he went outside to vent his frustrations on the car, changing a broken tail light and vacuuming the crud out of the back seat. When he came back inside I was trying to fix Laine’s dress while she was rolling around on the floor but when she heard his tools jingling she had to have them so she hopped onto her knees and started rocking back and forth, I knew that something cute was about to happen so I flipped on the video camera and SHE CRAWLED! A whole two hippity-hops and she got to her dads tools. It was amazing to catch it on film. We did some flipping out and trying to get her to do it over and over again but after about 20 minutes she decided she was tired and that’s when she found that she could go from tummy to knees to bottom, my baby is sitting up on her own and crawling!! Amazing!
After she was good and worn out we headed out for Austin, Laine slept the whole three hours, and I guess she was worn out a little more than we thought. We arrived in Austin with just enough time for everyone to freshen up and change clothes, and then we met mom and dad in the lobby and followed them to the most beautiful outdoor barbecue ever. We had a lot of fun with Laine on the grass and everyone thought she was the cutest thing ever; my chest was seriously puffed from pride the whole night. Laine passed out around 8:00 and woke up again around 8:30 but wasn’t up for another round so we packed up and headed to the hotel. We decided to put Laine on the floor since she rolls around a lot in her sleep. Initially it was just the comforter on the floor but she rolled into the dresser and got a good red spot on her forehead from it, so we barricaded her with pillows, but that didn’t really stop her because when we woke up Sunday morning she had rolled clear off her bed and was making her way to ours. It’s a good thing those beds are boxed underneath, I don’t even want to think about what my reaction would be to wake up and find her gone, hiding under the bed. Uber freak out to the max for real.
After waking up we rolled around in bed together for a while then Laine and Erik and I took a shower together, we watched her try to catch water in her mouth more than we tried to get clean. Then we went downstairs to meet my parents and The Crew for breakfast, during which time Laine got her first taste of fresh banana, she projectile vomited, it’s was sick and funny at the same time. Poor kid, she was in a much better mood after that though. After breakfast mom and dad headed back to Houston and we went back to the room to take a quick nap with Laine, and then check out around noon. Erik had some work to do at a client’s site in Austin which works out well; because that means that his office will pay for the hotel, score! Once we got on the road we remembered that we were hungry so we stopped in Bastrop at a little BBQ hut and filled up then got back on the road, getting home close to 4:30.
Once home Erik took Laine and loafed it up on the couch and watched V for Vendetta and the Goonies, at one point Erik left the living room to get a refill on his drink and right when he got back into the living room I hear a loud thump and Laine started crying. She had crawled over to the exersaucer and was pulling herself up onto her her knees. When she saw Erik she got excited and let go, face planting into the base of the exersaucer. She's got a little scrape on her cheek but once Erik picked her up she was laughing and fine again. Jeezum, you'd think she'd take it one step at a time, but I guess not.
I was in the kitchen during the fall making three dinners. I made a pot of chicken and sausage jambalaya, a pot of beef vegetable lentil soup and a casserole dish full of stuffed cabbage rolls. The jambalaya and soup were put into the freezer to eat later this week and we will have the cabbage rolls tonight for dinner.
I feel like I accomplished great things this weekend. I made a dress for my kid with a matching shirt for myself. I got my kids first crawl on video and I got half of this weeks dinners made. That leaves me a ton of time to do laundry at night and just hang out with my people. Hooray for great weekends.


3 comments:

BColleen said...

What a crazy weekend! Go you for making matchign outfits lol, I swear, it seems like you guys go on little adventures, and I wish that Josie and I were going with you half the time, because finding out about your awesome weekend on monday... isnt the same as going with lol. Crawling and pulling up all in the same weekend!?!? Sheesh. She is going to be asking to borrow your car in like a week then right? xo

KrysTros said...

Wow I got tired just reading about all you guys did this weekend! You guys sure were busy. I know the little BBQ hut you are talking about in Bastrop. I will have to give you Kimberly's number so that when yall pass through Bastrop again she can visit with you guys and you can see her little girl, Ashley too! I bet its been awhile since you two have seen each other!

KrysTros said...

Yay! Laine crawled and sat up! Sorry sometimes my brain and my fingers aren't on the same page!