It’s been a few months since the last time Laine was sick. The last time I wrote about her being really sick at all was June, and I’m so grateful that there have been no ear infections or fevers or anything for so long but it feels like maybe it was all just piling up in her body and now it’s exploding out, yesterday we took her to the doctor and were told she has bronchitis, an ear infection and RSV. Tiny little bodies shouldn’t have to hold so much sick.
Monday and Tuesday she had a bad cough, it sounded mucous-y so I medicated appropriately. Then Wednesday morning she was a bit warm, not feverish but warm so I gave her Tylenol. Wednesday after work I took her to mom’s house for a visit. She was still coughing every now and then and had a runny nose but I figured it was just a cold. Around 1:30 Wednesday night Laine woke up crying for me and when I went to go get her she was burning up with a fever, a very high scary fever. So I gave her some Tylenol and she and I took a cool shower. I kept her in just her diaper and let her lay in bed with me for a while. Laying out from under the covers under the fan made her feel better, but after she fell asleep I’d try to cover her up and as soon as I would she’d wake up very angry and kick them off her again. She woke up about every hour to moan and cry for a bit then she’d drape herself over me and fall asleep again, then wake up and moan and toss herself over Erik’s legs than sleep again. Around 5:00 she finally settled into a deeper sleep and I got out of bed to call the nurse. Laine’s fever wasn’t going down any and the Tylenol/ibuprofen wasn’t working and cool showers only worked until she dried off so I was told to bring her in first thing. So I sent out a text message to my boss asking for the day off and sent a text to my mom letting her know what was up and waited around until I could leave for the doctor. Laine was up and at it by 7:00 but she was just so sick and weighed down that she wouldn’t walk on her own and if I sat her on the couch she would fall right over to laying down. It’s like she didn’t have the energy to lift her head. I convinced her to eat a little food before we left and since then except for a handful of bites of rice she hasn’t eaten anything at all. Not even bottles. Just water and juice. IT’s so scary to have everything you know about your kid just dump upside-down. Prior to this sickness I could always offer Laine a bottle and know that she’d take it and suck it down like it was her last meal on earth. But since yesterday if you offer her anything at all it’s big time “NO!’ before this sickness I could raspberry her tummy and be guaranteed a laugh but last night she looked at me like you would assume a perfect stranger would look at you if you did that to them in a mall parking lot right before they called the police. And before this sickness you would have to beg Laine for a kiss and hug and to tell you “Iyou” (that’s I love you) but all day yesterday in bed with her after the doctor, she’d raise up her head and say Iyou and kiss my face before laying down on my chest. Right on top of my chest that was holding the most painful breaking heart I’ve ever had. And I’ve have a few but that’s a different blog.

2 comments:
I really hope that Laine gets feeling better super fast, and I also am keeping my fingers and toes crossed that you don't get it too!
Sending lots of love your way!
I know, right?! COLD, EAR INFECTION, RSV, GO AWAY! We don't want to play with you! Go far, far away...in Jesus' name!
Post a Comment