Frank Turner

Love is Free and Life is Cheap ~and as long as I have me a place to sleep, clothes on my back and food to eat, I couldn't ask for anything more.

Friday, June 11

Weeks and Weekends and Nights and Days

It’s been a little too long since my last update; my sister sent me an email telling me I was killing her with the lack of news. It’s nice to know someone reads my posts besides the folks I force.
So here we go, two weekends ago Erik and Laine and I went out to visit Levi and Sydney for a relaxing weekend at the lake.
Once we got there we found Mom and Dad and Brandon and his family too, it was exactly what we needed. We had good food and good company and even though we slept on the floor, I got really good sleep and my back didn’t even hurt in the morning. Laine got to play with a friend for two days and I was so surprised that she actually played nice. Or at least she played not mean. Laine would flip out every time Addison got close to her blanket or tried to open a cabinet. It seems that kitchen cabinets are no-no’s for everyone but Laine. She’s so spoiled it’s ridiculous. Before we left we were able to take a family picture by the water, it’s not the best picture of us but we all look happy, which makes it a good picture. I loved our visit to Levi’s house; we need to do it again very soon. When we got back into town we went to Erik’s parent’s house for a bbq. We ended up not eating until almost 8:00 and I’d had more than a few drinks so Erik and I decided to spend the night, I woke up a tad hung over but being able to swim first thing in the morning helped out a lot. After we left the Rosendahl’s we headed over to the Schmale’s house to swim with mom and dad, the Whites and the Tidwell’s. Mom dunked Laine under the water. She’s blow in her face really hard to get Laine to hold her breath then she just dunked her. I just about had a heart attack. It was an intense moment of letting go for me. So bring on cars and boys and college, I’ve got this parenting thing down. Ha! The week went by easily enough at first. Monday Laine helped me clean the house a bit, she is fascinated with cleaning the floors, give her a mop or broom and she’s happy for an hour easy. I showed her how to use a dust pan and she treated it like her most favorite Christmas gift ever, carrying it around with her the whole time I was making dinner. Tuesday I went to Mom’s house to visit with Danny and Damone before Damone was scheduled for her surgery. All went well with that by the way. Wednesday when I picked her up from daycare she felt a bit warm to me and sure enough she had a fever, I gave her some Tylenol while we were out to dinner with Mom and dad and the Hendrix’s but by Thursday morning her fever was up to 104. I had to stay home with her for Thursday and Friday and basically just watch her sleep. She had a sore throat which turned into a viral infection so she was on some heavy duty meds for a while, and it seems to really knock her out. Friday she was only awake for about three hour’s total, she wasn’t even waking up when I’d change her diapers. I’d give her water and Pedialite when she would wake up but I was lucky to get any food down her at all, she only wanted bottles. Poor kiddo was miserable. Saturday was a little better, she ate some rice cereal and some cheese and seemed happy for a while, she’d play and talk to us but when she looked at you her eyes were so glazed over she looked like a zombie. Finally on Sunday her fever truly broke, after three days at 103ish I know she was ready for the cool down. I can’t say it was all bad though, she got to take a lot of baths, and she seemed to enjoy those. By Monday I felt that it was okay to visit Damone so we went to see her for a little while. We did Christmas with them as we havn't really had the time this year to get together since last year. Laine got a new favorite blanket she carries around with her everywhere and sleeps with at night. We are going to try to make it over there as often as we can while Damone is healing. It’s got to suck after a while not being able to go anywhere so while she’s jailed we’ll be making the effort to make it fun. Or at least not not fun. While we were visiting the other day Laine got her first popsicle, I'm not sure if she kew what to make of it but we'll try again another time.On a side note Laine has been having some seriously tantrum episodes lately. I know that they aren’t full blown tantrums and I still have some horrific things to look forward to, but since these are her first real moments of attitude I’m having an adjustment period where I can almost do nothing but laugh and I know that isn’t the best way to handle it, it’s probably the worst way, I almost feel like I’m encouraging the behavior when I laugh, but then again she gets really mad at me when I laugh at her crying so maybe I’m not encouraging, whatever. As long as she isn’t mentally scarred or thinks I don’t love her she can toss as much attitude my way that she wants, I’m bigger than her I can take it.
Her first major meltdown was on Saturday, it was her first day back on her feet since she’d gotten sick, so I was pretty much letting her have her way with whatever she wanted. I went to the fridge to get something and she pointed to the yogurt like she wanted it, as I grabbed for one to show her to ask if that’s the one she wanted she got distracted by the diet coke cans (look a pretty castle) and I couldn’t get her to pay attention to me after that, she was mesmerized so I pulled her away and shut the door, and oh man the tears just poured, but the hilarious thing was that after about five seconds of hard heaving tears she stopped, peeked out behind her fists to make sure I was watching and then started crying again. She did it about three times before I had to walk out of the kitchen because one, we aren’t playing that game, and two, I almost ruptured a kidney holding in my laughter. I wonder where she learned that. All kids know that trick, crying gets me stuff, but what is it in their little short lives that have taught them how to manipulate others, I can’t for the life of me believe that she was deliberately trying to trick me, I think it was more of a test, to see if it really does work, and what was hilarious to me is that she probably had no idea that I already knew that trick. How disappointing it must have been to find out mommy is the master, my kung fu is better than her kung fu.
The second episode was last night. I got home a little early so that I could get Laine fed and bathed before we went out to eat for Kate’s birthday with Erik’s family. I fed her the dog out of the corndog and some goldfish. All Laine’s life she has been really good about taking baby bites and one at a time. But last night she was not. I mean hand over fist she was stuffing those cheeks to max capacity. So when it got to the point that she literally could not close her mouth any more I told her no, chew what you have first, drink some water and I’ll give you more. She the sat down on the floor and started screaming while pointing at the goldfish bag. I mean. This was a serious meltdown. Huge tears, red splotchy face, she was pissed! I could not contain the laughter, it was such an unexpected reaction that I really just sat there and stared at her for a few minutes until she started heaving in her breaths, she was really seriously crying with full blown rage. She stood up and stomped her feet, she was yelling at me. Yelling. At me. It was so insane, my mind was blown. Who was this little devil child freaking out on me? I don’t even want to know what she was thinking but I’m betting it was along the lines of baby profanity. Finally I reached into the bag to get a gold fish about and as soon as my hand was inside the bag she stopped crying and started chewing. So I took my time rooting around in the bag until she swallowed and then handed her one fish. She hit my hand! Batted the one goldfish away and screamed MORE! What the heck!?!? So we did this a few times, she’d stuff her face I’d make her cry then she’s stuff her face again. And the whole time my jaw is on the floor in shock. It was time to leave for the restaurant after while so the cycle finally stopped but I’m fairly certain those goldfish are getting thrown in the trash first thing when I get home today.

No comments: