Laine woke up last night around 11:45. You would think that since Laine sleeps all night long that when she does wake up it would be easy to swing back into getting only three hours of sleep like slipping on those old pair of jeans, it would fit perfect and I’d be fine except it’s not like that at all, I do put on a pair of jeans but it’s like the really old pair from high school you keep around just to remind yourself how skinny you’ll never be again and even without buttoning them up you’re muffin topping like a banana nut from Kroger’s bakery.
Every now and again Laine will wake up in the middle of the night, usually it’s a soft cry or whine and I’m in her room before she’s fully awake, by the time she realizes she’s unhappy she’s already being rocked and forgetting that she’s unhappy. It never takes longer than half and hour to get her back to sleep. Most of the time it’s less than that. Well, last night was different. She stayed awake until almost 2:30 and when she did wake up she didn’t cry softly or whine, she screamed. Like someone had a hot poker on her butt, like she had slipped her leg through the railing and somehow twisted and got stuck. Actually it was more like the hounds of hell were chasing her through a graveyard in New Orleans on Halloween in the middle of the night in the middle of a hurricane with only one rain boot and no umbrella. It was an intense involved scream that told stories and scared the living piss out of me. My heart was racing and I jumped over Erik to run out of the room into hers and she wasn’t even fully awake yet when I got there. It was probably a baby nightmare or something which scares me even more than her screaming because if a nightmare will effect her this way with only 16 months of life experience to be scared of what is it going to sound like at 16 years? My little brother had night terrors for a while and I remember a little bit of my mom being freaked out by it but I don’t have any real memories so I can’t pull from her on how I should react, so until I learn I’ll just die slowly of a heart attack every time.
Every now and again Laine will wake up in the middle of the night, usually it’s a soft cry or whine and I’m in her room before she’s fully awake, by the time she realizes she’s unhappy she’s already being rocked and forgetting that she’s unhappy. It never takes longer than half and hour to get her back to sleep. Most of the time it’s less than that. Well, last night was different. She stayed awake until almost 2:30 and when she did wake up she didn’t cry softly or whine, she screamed. Like someone had a hot poker on her butt, like she had slipped her leg through the railing and somehow twisted and got stuck. Actually it was more like the hounds of hell were chasing her through a graveyard in New Orleans on Halloween in the middle of the night in the middle of a hurricane with only one rain boot and no umbrella. It was an intense involved scream that told stories and scared the living piss out of me. My heart was racing and I jumped over Erik to run out of the room into hers and she wasn’t even fully awake yet when I got there. It was probably a baby nightmare or something which scares me even more than her screaming because if a nightmare will effect her this way with only 16 months of life experience to be scared of what is it going to sound like at 16 years? My little brother had night terrors for a while and I remember a little bit of my mom being freaked out by it but I don’t have any real memories so I can’t pull from her on how I should react, so until I learn I’ll just die slowly of a heart attack every time.
No comments:
Post a Comment