Friday I got off work a little early so I went and got my nails did. Every other time I’ve ever gone to get my nails done I first call and asked Erik what color he’d like me to get. Almost every single time his first pick is pink, and since I’m not a pink on my toes kinda gal I’ll usually ask him if he’s sure a couple of times until he changes it to red. So this time after I completely forgot to call Erik and it was time to paint, I saw that I had just picked out a dark red, but I thought “you know, Erik usually picks pink first so I’ll just do pink for him”. As I was driving home I called him and asked him “If I had called him what color would he have chosen?” I was fully expecting him to say pink so I could go “Ah Ha! I knew it that’s what I got”. Instead I got “I don’t know red”. And I went “Nuh uh! I got pink!” Wah wah! It may not seem like a big deal to you or even to Erik but to me I felt like I’d just ruined the half hour massage I’d gotten. I know Erik doesn’t care what color my toes are painted but in my mind I do it for him so I like for him to at least pick the color. When he picked something other than what I had gotten, I felt like I’d wasted the $30. Yes, Erik had been the one to tell me to go and get it done so that I could take some time for myself to do something just for myself and that’s what I did, it’s just a little less enjoyable when I think that I didn’t get his color choice, even when I manipulate the color choice out of him anyway. Whatever. I’m dumb.

Saturday we made plans to hang out with our people for the whole day. We were going to their house to watch one soccer game at 9:00 then we would all trek over to the Rosendahl’s to watch another game then go swimming afterwards. So we wake up at 7:00.

Hang on; first let me tell you about the night before. Laine didn’t let me sleep. She slept just fine but every time I’d try to pick her up to put her down she’d start crying so I’d try holding her until she fell asleep but then she’d wake up as I tried to lay her down and start crying, so I tried keeping her in the crib and rubbing her back until she fell asleep then as soon as I’d get one foot out the door she started crying so I laid down on the floor and listened to her breathing until I though for sure she was out but when I stood up again she started crying. So I started crying. Which woke Erik up, so he got up and got dressed and took Laine for a car ride, they came back a very short time later with her knocked out. I went to bed around 4:30 and now we are back to waking up at 7:00.

I told you all of this so that you’ll understand me when I tell you that in the course of our morning lying in bed as Laine pranced around us, laughing and hollering and screaming and being cute that when one side of her diaper came un-Velcro'd I just laid there not really caring. She didn’t care so why should I? She eventually worked the whole diaper off her and brought it over to me, I grabbed it and found that it was a loaded diaper. A hugely loaded diaper. Nothing got on the floor or on me but when Erik jumped up to check if any had gotten on Laine he found the one spot it had gotten on her and it transferred onto him. We all jumped in the shower really quick and got it all cleaned off, but I really couldn’t have cared. I was dead tired and it wasn’t even funny but I had to laugh at it. What a day it was already starting out to be.
Erik offered to let me sleep in and come back to pick me up after the first soccer game but of course I wasn’t going to miss hanging out with my person just because I was tired. If anyone can accept me in my grouchiest mood it’s my person. If anyone can relate to being up all night with a toddler it’s my person. So no, I’m not going to miss out on a chance to hang with her because I might be a little tired. And I’m glad because the whole day was wonderful. Swimming was so much fun and just being able to see Laine interacting with other children was fun.

We went out to dinner at Jake’s afterwards and I was really impressed with all three girls. Each was distracted on their own and not once did we have a moment where strangers were staring. That’s a wonderful thing.

Sunday we woke up early and Laine and I brought Erik his Father’s Day gift in bed.

I think if I had waited until he was more awake he would have been more excited about it, but overall I think he liked it.

We got ready for church and were on the road so early that we were able to stop for breakfast and still get to church on time. After church we met Mom and Dad and Damone at Red River for some amazing BBQ, then we headed to Mom and Dad’s to hang out and open Father’s Day gifts and Mom’s birthday gift from the boys. Before we knew it the day was half gone and it was past 2:00 and we needed to head over to Erik’s parents for Father’s Day dinner.

BBQ again but different kinds so I didn’t feel like we were eating leftovers. Alicia made ribs that were surprisingly good.
Laine decided to stay awake the entire day she didn’t go down for her first nap until 6:30. We left when she woke up at 8:30 and she passed out in the car and stayed out all night. I’m not sure what time she woke up this morning but she was playing quietly in her crib when I went in to wake her up. I’m so grateful that she can do that.
I dropped her off at Daycare early this morning so that I could swing by HEB for my breakfast for the week and I caught the bakery as they were putting out their breads for the day. Fresh bagels are the best.
No comments:
Post a Comment