Frank Turner

Love is Free and Life is Cheap ~and as long as I have me a place to sleep, clothes on my back and food to eat, I couldn't ask for anything more.

Wednesday, May 19

My Guy

I was running a fever again last night. The highest temperature I took was at 102.something. This morning it was back down so I came to work, since there are three people out of the office and no one else downstairs, there’s no chance of me spreading this on. I desperately want a nap.
Laine was up from 3:00 until a little after 5:00 with what I can only assume is teething pains. She had no fever but was inconsolable. And Erik took care of her for me. He’s such an amazing guy.
I got up with Laine at 3:00, I tried rocking her, I tried walking with her, I tried dancing in front of the big window in the red bedroom and nothing worked. I had her lay down in bed with me for a while and it seemed to cheer her up a bit until she started spastically flopping around and finally bashed her head against the wall at the head of the bed. At one point she basically belly flopped over Erik’s legs, Erik woke up and heard me begging Laine to settle down so he got up and took over for me; telling me to “get some sleep, momma. I got her”. Those are probably the most romantic words he’s ever uttered. She settled down after about fifteen minutes with him rocking her, I was so happy for the silence that I almost started crying myself, but it didn’t last. She kept having these spurts of hysteria, I mean, if a baby were able to have a panic attack I think this is what it would be like. She cried and screamed and clawed at Erik to get down and he just held on to her and shushed her and told her pretty things and promised her everything in the world if she’d just fall asleep again. I went in and out of sleep with her. Erik tried putting her back down close to five and she woke up like he laid her in a bed of fire and screamed for one last long minute before finally wearing herself out. Erik crawled back into bed with me and I couldn’t find enough places on his face to kiss him. I loved him so much at that moment. And again he just told me not to worry, it’s taken care of, he loves me, go to sleep. I may have been sick and tired but I’d never felt more loved and taken care of. He is so wonderful with Laine, he's marvelous with me.

1 comment:

Amanda Porter Rosendahl said...

You have a fantastic Husband and he has the most wonderful wife. You are both great parents. These can be the most difficult and the most rewarding; the most frustrating and the most joyful years of your lives! When you need a break, and it is okay to say you need a break, You are ALWAYS welcome and encouraged to drive her to my house at any hour of any night and I will take my turn walking the floor with her. Please remember that I am here. I have been here. - mom