So yesterday was a long day. After I was able to swap Laine’s appointment from today to yesterday my mom and Josh brought Laine up to the doctor’s office for me and I met them there. Josh we a trooper and well behaved the whole time, it was nice to not have to chase around a spastic four year old on top of a spastic one year old. 
Once we got into the exam room we had about a twenty minute wait before the nurse came into take Laine’s measurements, right before the nurse knocked on the door Laine busted her face good on the window sill. I tried grabbing for the back of her shorts but she was like a see-saw and I just grabbed the center while the heavier side smashed down. The heavier side being her face. So of course she was crying and in pain and wanting my mom to hold her but the nurse was ready for us so she had to go with me to get weighed, she calmed down a bit and got interested in what was going on, but then we went back to the room and she remembered that she wanted Nana. But she still needed to get measured so she got a little hysterical for a brief moment. After the nurse left it took Dr. Collard just enough time to get to us that Laine had cheered back up when we had to upset her again. For the most part Laine is really curious about what doctors and nurses do, it’s when they need to hold her face in some way that she gets upset. She doesn’t kike it when she can move her head. The doctor told us that although we thought we had a slam dunk ear infection (what with all the crying for seemingly no reason and the tugging on her ears…) what it really was an upper respiratory infection. Of course, how could I not see that?
We were given a prescription for antibiotics but I was told not to fill it unless Laine develops a fever, which she hasn’t done so that’s amazing. We were also given eye drops for her swollen eye. I have to give it to her every two hours and man you’d think I was putting acid in her eyes with the reaction she gives. I tried the drops and it’s just like saline solution, it feels like water. I think it’s the unknown that freaks her out, the fact that never before has anything other than her finger gone into her eye. This morning I put the drops into the wells of her eyes and pulled up on her lids so that she was still asleep and it didn’t scare her, now if I can only get her to take a nap every two hours so that I can medicate her without her flipping out.
After we left the doctors office I dropped off the prescription for the eye drops and stopped by Colleen’s to visit for the hour they said it would take to fill the order. It was amazing to see her during daylight hours for once. Laine was okay during the visit, happy to play on her own and not visit too much but she wanted lots of hugs from Colleen which was so cute. She ate some grapefruit and ice while we were there but hen we had to leave to go get the medication and photos I was getting developed. She fell asleep in the car on the way home but woke up as soon as I unbuckled her. I gave her half a dose of Dimetapp right before we left downtown and another half dose when we got home hoping that it would knock her out but all it seemed to do was amp her up. She stayed cranky for the rest of the day but as long as you keep her entertained she doesn’t cry too much. She got really frustrated one of her toys when it didn’t do what she wanted it to do and for a while I couldn’t’ convince her to try something else, even taking her outside didn’t cheer her up. At about 5:30 I packed her back up and went back to CVS to do some shopping. I bought myself all new makeup and some nail polish. I got some new hair dye that took me forever to pick a color, I kept putting the box up to Laine's head trying to match the color and there is no color like hers so I went with the closest one. The whole time we were at the store Laine was happy, swinging her feet and singing/screaming. For once I didn’t shh her, I didn’t give a damn who was bothered by her, she was happy and that was all that mattered at that moment. There is suck a huge difference between a sad or hurt scream and a happy one, I love her happy scream now. 
We got home just before 7:00 and Erik met us shortly after. Erik had a few things he wanted to get done around the house, cleaning up a little and unpacking the glass top for the dining room table so Laine and I made him some black bean tacos while he worked. After he finished eating his dinner I made Laine a bottle, gave her medicine and eye drops and got Erik and Laine settled on the couch so that she could go to sleep. It was 8:00 and past her bedtime as it was so when she started crying as I was leaving I figured a little crying a little formula and she’d be out. But I had my doubts. I drove to my parents while Erik took care of Laine and I visited for a bout 45 minutes, stalling as much as I could before going home. When I got there I was trying to be very quiet to not wake up Laine but then I heard the happy scream, she and Erik had just gotten out on the bath and she wasn’t even a little bit tired. It’s like Dimetapp has no effect on her. I’m buying Dimetapp PM tonight to see if that will. She woke up around 3:00 this morning crying and didn’t stop until right before 5:00. This morning she was cranky but not crying. Fingers crossed tonight goes well.
Once we got into the exam room we had about a twenty minute wait before the nurse came into take Laine’s measurements, right before the nurse knocked on the door Laine busted her face good on the window sill. I tried grabbing for the back of her shorts but she was like a see-saw and I just grabbed the center while the heavier side smashed down. The heavier side being her face. So of course she was crying and in pain and wanting my mom to hold her but the nurse was ready for us so she had to go with me to get weighed, she calmed down a bit and got interested in what was going on, but then we went back to the room and she remembered that she wanted Nana. But she still needed to get measured so she got a little hysterical for a brief moment. After the nurse left it took Dr. Collard just enough time to get to us that Laine had cheered back up when we had to upset her again. For the most part Laine is really curious about what doctors and nurses do, it’s when they need to hold her face in some way that she gets upset. She doesn’t kike it when she can move her head. The doctor told us that although we thought we had a slam dunk ear infection (what with all the crying for seemingly no reason and the tugging on her ears…) what it really was an upper respiratory infection. Of course, how could I not see that?
We were given a prescription for antibiotics but I was told not to fill it unless Laine develops a fever, which she hasn’t done so that’s amazing. We were also given eye drops for her swollen eye. I have to give it to her every two hours and man you’d think I was putting acid in her eyes with the reaction she gives. I tried the drops and it’s just like saline solution, it feels like water. I think it’s the unknown that freaks her out, the fact that never before has anything other than her finger gone into her eye. This morning I put the drops into the wells of her eyes and pulled up on her lids so that she was still asleep and it didn’t scare her, now if I can only get her to take a nap every two hours so that I can medicate her without her flipping out.
We got home just before 7:00 and Erik met us shortly after. Erik had a few things he wanted to get done around the house, cleaning up a little and unpacking the glass top for the dining room table so Laine and I made him some black bean tacos while he worked. After he finished eating his dinner I made Laine a bottle, gave her medicine and eye drops and got Erik and Laine settled on the couch so that she could go to sleep. It was 8:00 and past her bedtime as it was so when she started crying as I was leaving I figured a little crying a little formula and she’d be out. But I had my doubts. I drove to my parents while Erik took care of Laine and I visited for a bout 45 minutes, stalling as much as I could before going home. When I got there I was trying to be very quiet to not wake up Laine but then I heard the happy scream, she and Erik had just gotten out on the bath and she wasn’t even a little bit tired. It’s like Dimetapp has no effect on her. I’m buying Dimetapp PM tonight to see if that will. She woke up around 3:00 this morning crying and didn’t stop until right before 5:00. This morning she was cranky but not crying. Fingers crossed tonight goes well.
No comments:
Post a Comment