Frank Turner

Love is Free and Life is Cheap ~and as long as I have me a place to sleep, clothes on my back and food to eat, I couldn't ask for anything more.

Thursday, October 7

Stars

Something cool happened this morning that will probably never happen again for as long as I live. I was fumbling with my phone in the car this morning (no, that will happen again) and I was trying to sort through the six phone numbers I have under Keith Porter in my phone to call Daddy and say Happy Birthday (in the most singsong-y annoying voice I could manage at 7:00) and I look up just as I’m pulling up to Dixie Farm and 518 and right there in the middle of the sky, bright as can be and quick as lightning, I saw a shooting star. I’d never seen one before and I bet I’ll never see another one again but the four cars ahead of me immediately slammed on their brakes, apparently they’d never seen one either and were going to, I don’t know, catch it? So I pressed the call button and told Daddy to make a wish, I’d just seen a shooting star for his birthday. That’s a pretty amazing thing I think. I’d take that as a birthday present even if it is just a flaming ball of galactic trash.
The rest of this blog has been written and deleted a couple of times now and each time I get closer to what I want to say but not exactly there. How do I say happy birthday to my daddy in a meaningful way while also conveying the importance of him and his love of me to all of you. It’s hard. And you know me, anytime it’s someone’s special day I like to single them out, make them feel special, bring them to the center of attention, make them wear a sombrero and sing at them while taking photo’s to forever shame them, like you do. But Daddy’s a little more laid back now and it isn’t quite the ordeal it used to be to get him to wear a sombrero and he isn’t even going to be home tonight for me to take a new birthday video, I won’t see him for a day or two at most which is totally cool, he’s going hunting with coworkers and that sounds like he’s going to have fun and I’m happy for him. So I’m going to hold off talking about Daddy’s birthday until I get to spend some time with him first. Maybe Monday I’ll have something for you on that, maybe not. Maybe I’ll just keep it between me and Daddy. Maybe you’ll never know.



No comments: