Frank Turner

Love is Free and Life is Cheap ~and as long as I have me a place to sleep, clothes on my back and food to eat, I couldn't ask for anything more.

Tuesday, October 12

Sleeeep, Neeeed Sleeeep

Laine has stopped sleeping throughout the night since we both got sick about three weeks ago; she started waking up around midnight every night. I try to get to bed as close to 8:00 as I can because I know I’m the one that’ll be getting up with her, and it’s not like she stays up that long but she sleeps super fitfully so I put her in bed with us so that she’ll stay asleep but in doing so I can’t sleep. Because Erik is always trying to roll over her or kick her or throw his pillow on her or turn his head just so he’s snoring the loudest he’s ever snored in his life right in her ear. So I constantly have to swat him away or halt his roll with a linebacker shoulder to the ribs.
Laine sleeps well in bed with us and I’d like for that to be all that matters but I haven’t gotten a solid night’s sleep in a couple of weeks now and I’m about at my wits end. If she were awake and needing attention that would be a completely different issue, but she’s asleep, just not deep asleep; any little thing will make her start crying so I need to be that protective barrier around her and protective barriers don’t sleep, so I don’t asleep.
I’ve tried to hold her until she falls asleep then take her back to her room, but she just wakes up an hour later again, I’ve tried taking her to the blue room so that we could spread out and sleep but she wakes up asking for daddy. I’ve tried putting her on my side of the bed and sleeping on the couch but she wakes up asking for me. I don’t know what to do. I’m completely at a loss.
Erik told me that if she wakes up tonight that I’m supposed to make him get her, which would be a wonderful thing if he actually would get up and get her. Because he can get her out and down for the whole night no problem. It’s the getting him awake and up to get her that’s the problem. I’ll shake him and say, go get Laine and he’ll go get her and bring her to me and put her in my arms, lay back down and go back to sleep. I’ll tell him to go put Laine back to sleep and he’ll go get her and bring her to me and put her in my arms and go back to sleep. I’ll tell him go get Laine and rock her until she’s asleep and he’ll get her and bring her to me. Yeah, as much as he’s a helpful dad when he’s awake he’s totally useless to me at night. He turns retarded as soon as his eyes shut and no amount of harping or whining or begging makes a difference.
So I’ve made up my mind that if tonight Laine wakes up I will be waking Erik up, walking him into the nursery, picking up Laine and putting her in his arms and sitting him down in the rocking chair. Then I will go back to bed and go to sleep. Or at least I’ll go back to bed and lay there awake until Erik comes back to bed with Laine sleeping in her crib because that’s how my mind rolls. I can’t sleep as long as there is a chance he or she will need me.
What if a bee files into Erik’s mouth and stings his throat and he can’t call me for help and he doesn’t want to move because there are more bees that might sting Laine and the only hint that anything is wrong is the way he’s breathing. If I don’t pay attention through the monitor I could miss that and I don’t know if Laine’s allergic to bees. She could die.
That’s why I always get her at night. So she won’t die.

2 comments:

Amanda Porter Rosendahl said...

ROTFLOL!!!!!!! BAH HA HA HA!!!!
And you think you are NOT funny?! Weirdo! You are hilarious!

BColleen said...

are you commenting on your own posts????
lol

btw, what's sleep? Also, whats this nonsense about daddy's getting up with babies?

In other words. I am there too. However, getting 8 hours of sleep, uninterrupted... I would have to be in a hotel room by myself with earplugs, and be drugged probably lol