Frank Turner

Love is Free and Life is Cheap ~and as long as I have me a place to sleep, clothes on my back and food to eat, I couldn't ask for anything more.

Saturday, July 25

Saturdaze

Lazy days are my favorite; the smell of fresh cut grass and a charcoal fire drifting in from outside while you sit and sip on a cold glass of fill in the blank here, the sound of children playing in the neighbor’s yard and oldies on the radio, and nothing to do with your time but smile at the one sitting next to you. Today was not one of those days. I have a baby; I may never have one of those days again... sigh.
Oh well, my second favorite type of day is spent surrounded by friends and family with good food and a happy kid. That's the kind of day today was and really still is.
It started this morning around 8:00 when Laine woke me up by laughing and blowing raspberries at her mobile. I had to use the restroom before getting her up but she wasn't having any of that, she saw me try to walk by and started crying so I picked her up. I don't know how many of you out there have had to pee with a twenty pound five month old slung halfway over your shoulder and sitting on your boob but if you have, dang, kudos. That’s hard. Seriously, by the time I had finished I felt like I had gotten a nice workout as well as an affirmation of my parenting skills. I was proud of myself.
Then I got a text from my person saying that they were taking their last trip to their storage facility to finally get everything moved in to their new home. (I’m sure she’ll be telling you all about that eventually.) So after Laine woke daddy up we got packed and dressed and headed out to help where we could.
I helped by sitting on the ground and feeding Laine some sweet potatoes. It’s what I do, I do it well.
Then after Erik helped move boxes into the house, and I sat in the living room with Laine and got allergic to the couch, (again, it’s what I do) we headed home so that Erik could do yard work. He mowed and he weed eated and he edged and he blow dried and it looked so amazing I was half tempted to ask him where he hid the Mexicans, but I didn’t. Really, that man is an artist with the yard.
After the yard was done and Erik had taken a much needed shower we headed to momma and daddy’s house so that we could go shopping with them at Sam’s. But then Erik went to lie down on the couch and turned on the soccer game so it ended up being just me and mom that went shopping. And that really was a bad decision on Erik’s part, letting me go alone, because I spent at least twice what I told him I would. Oops.
Then back to the parent’s house to start on dinner; barbeque chicken, yum, but we didn’t have a lot of stuff and since Erik was taking a nap and Laine was too I decide that I’d leave her with him while we went to HEB. He could argue with me about it when he woke up, oh wait, no he couldn’t because I was gone. Ha! Over to HEB and back home to find Erik is gone. Well I knew he’d be a little miffed about me leaving her there without telling him, but really!? He left? Jeez. So I get inside the house and find my father with Laine and he’s laughing telling me that Erik had to go home and change because Laine had pooped all over him but he was quick in returning and while I helped mom cook dinner Erik sat with Laine and started giving her some peas, which she promptly spit back at him. He’s a little amused but annoyed, so he walks away and just lets her do her own thing for awhile. Which she is fine perfectly fine with.
Then dinner is ready and we turn on The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift and sit down for a quiet meal. Now we are finishing the movie and waiting to watch the Dynamo stomp New England.
A really great day for sure.
And just for kicks, here’s a picture of mom doing the dishes.
And dancing.
She dances when she does the dishes.
I think that’s marvelous.
Update:

2 comments:

izonprize said...

Just so you know, daddy and I just read this and....you made your daddy cry. He and I are so thankful to be so blessed with a unique and loving family. P.S. Couldn't you get a better angle on me? Ha! Ha! Love you.

BColleen said...

I love you, and I love your daughter, and I love your parents too. I miss having my side of the family even kinda sorta close. If they lived even 2 hours away, I would make the drive as often as I could. Your a lucky lady, miss person:)