But here’s the thing, it can’t be just any music, I need music to fit the situation I’m in or job I’m doing, but not necessarily the mood I’m in; if that were the case more often than not I’d be listening to some weird mix of Stabbing Westward and Fraggle Rock.
Like today, once I figured out why I was sitting in the Doldrums I turned on The Fratellis and BAM! Let the enthusiastic dive into my day begin! I was rockin’ that work on my desk; that was in fact what I needed to be working on.
Now I’m thinking about the other aspects of my life in which I must have music.
Driving of course needs good music, unless you want me to put you into the wall I need to have seriously good distracting-from-the-stupid-people music. Typically it’s something I can dance to, however dangerous some people think that is. Girls Aloud, The Sounds and Dance Hall Crashers are perfect for driving.
Cooking needs music, Something kind of mellow and yet something that I can bop to, something that will make me want to sway just enough to be considered dancing but not enough to slosh what’s in the pot: She Wants Revenge, Kings of Leon and Timbaland all work for the kitchen.
Cleaning needs something less rhythmic, no dancing is necessary in cleaning, but it does need to be something that will keep me moving: Bad Company and ACDC are some of my favorites for around the house work.
But I need different music for cooking and cleaning, it makes it difficult when I am trying to cook and clean up the kitchen at the same time because a mix of Justin Timberlake and Lynard Skynard gives me a headache.
When I’m reading a book I enjoy having music in the background. Something interesting enough for me to want to have it on in the first place and yet forgettable enough so that it allows me to pause in my reading to daydream a bit about how I would change or rewrite that last paragraph, without getting sidetracked by lyrics; creative imagination inspiration music if you will: Bond, Vanessa Mae, Yann Tiersen and the like.
And when I’m working I need something with a fast beat. Like I said, The Fratellis will make me really want to get down with my bad ass programming self, also Dragonforce; because speed metal is an amazing aid to speed typing.
Then there’s Family Fun Time. No music has of yet made me feel like it had earned the right to be played along side to the love noises we make. Though Skankin’ Pickle does come dang close.
Laine seems to prefer HIM, The Rasmus and Apocalyptica to anything else I’ve played for her while she’s awake and active. When she is ready to go to sleep then Eisely works best, or me singing to her, which I hope she never grows tired of.
I guess that’s about it. Except for me time. That’s the only time I listen to music that corresponds to how I’m feeling. Right now it happens to be Twisted Sister.
2 comments:
hahahah freaking awesome pic. and i realize that i am sitting in silence. nothing but the hum of the baby monitor, the fan, and other house noises, including dingo's loud odd stomach noises.
When I too am feeling the lack of motivation, I pull up itunes at work and quietly listen to music. Somehow, the lack of motivation is coming more frequently...
Post a Comment