Frank Turner

Love is Free and Life is Cheap ~and as long as I have me a place to sleep, clothes on my back and food to eat, I couldn't ask for anything more.

Sunday, October 14

Chocolate Cupcakes

I've spent many late nights trying to perfect the chocolate cupcake. My poor husband has had to suffer through months worth of evenings tasting and testing tiny cake after tiny cake. Bless his fat little heart. Tonight I belive i've finally made it. My perfect chocolate cupcake. I have not the time to go through the differences between baking cakes and baking cupcakes but just trust me, there is a very big difference. Here we go with a step by step recipe.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and put liners in cupcake pans (around 36)
First mix up the dry ingredients.
2 cups sugar

1 cup very lightly packed brown sugar

2.625 cups all purpose flour

1.5 cups Cocoa powder

2 teaspoons salt, 2.25 teaspoons baking powder and 2.25 teaspoons baking soda.


Mix it all up.
 
Now separately mix up the wet things.

3 eggs

1.5 cups full fat buttermilk
or 3/4 cups full fat sour cream
or 3/4 cups full fat greek yogurt

3/4 cups canola or vegetable oil

3 teaspoons vanilla

Mix it together

Pour wet into dry

Mix on medium speed, scrape the sides once or twice to get it all.

Add 1 cup boiling water.

It will steam.

It will make the batter very thin.

Put the batter into somethign that will help you easily pour.

Fill cups 2/3's full.
Bake for 25-29 minutes if you are putting all 36-40 cupcakes in at the same time.
If you are only baking 24 (two 12 count pans) at a time cook 18-22 minutes.

Wash your dishes. 
I did.

Then wait.

Or start on your frosting.

I whip mine to stretch it.

Then I drink a beer.

Then I wait more, because I forgot I was supposed to be making the frosting.

Geez time crawls.

Drink another.

Oh shoot, the icing!
 
Well it's whipped.

Had to add time, cupcakes were still moist.

Wash dishes again.

Fluffy icing.

Cupcakes are done. Cool them completely.

Find out that there are no lids for these stupid aluminium trays.
Call them all kinds of inventive names and decide to figure it out tomorrow
 
I have no photo's of the cupcakes frosted, becasue they all got eaten.
 
 
Side Recipe:
I made an Irish Soda Bread, Kinda
 
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teasoon baking powder
1 taspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon vanilla
1.25 cups buttermilk.
 
bake 375 for 40 minutes
 
glaze:
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
three tablespoons butter milk.
mis and pour over cooled bread.

No comments: