Frank Turner

Love is Free and Life is Cheap ~and as long as I have me a place to sleep, clothes on my back and food to eat, I couldn't ask for anything more.

Tuesday, May 17

Vacation Over

So I covered most of Friday and Saturday in yesterday’s post; Saturday night and Sunday morning was mostly more of the same. We ate, we slept, we rode around on the golf cart which was my favorite I think, riding the same trail over and over and never seeing it the same way twice. I’m going to share the photos before I tell you about the ride home.
Real men take fire seriously.

Real men kill stuff.

I would  have stuffed a pillow under my shirt,
taken my shoes off and held a beer and cigarette in one hand
with the gun in the other,
but this is all the redneck I could muster on short notice.
I think I look convincing don't you?

That goat was MEAN. He eats his own babies.
I don't know why I was surprised
when he tried to take a bite of mine.

Now, the ride home.
We left the ranch right around 10:30, about an hour before Laine’s nap time. So Laine was tired, and she was upset over having to leave my mom and dad behind and she wanted to be held because it was nap time, so she cried and screamed or three hours. THREE HOURS of a baby crying is long enough to drive anyone up a wall, but Erik had to get into the office. He had to. We were unable to stop for Laine, so she cried. For three hours. When we stopped for gas Erik bought Laine a small cup of Dippin’ Dots and that made her happy for almost an hour so that she didn’t start whining and crying again until we hit Katy.
By the time we got home, it was almost three o’clock (yeah that’s a 5 hour trip packing into a 4 ½ hour trip with gas stops and one stop to clean up the vomit after Laine cried herself into hysterics included) and we were all running on fumes. Erik stayed only long enough to help me unpack the car before heading out to the office. Laine and I ate some leftover twice baked potatoes (thrice baked) and hung out in the living room for the rest of the day, I was doing laundry and Laine was taking out every toy she owns and throwing at the wall and me until about 10:00, at which time I held her down until she cried herself to sleep, she woke up an hour later but snuggled down with me, put her hand on my face and smiled at me.
My vacation at the ranch was so wonderful and so relaxing that having Sunday happen was like a bucket of boiling oil being poured into my socket after someone tore my eyeball out with flaming tongs; it’s Tuesday and I still want to cry thinking about Sunday.

No comments: